The Pangasinan Provincial Health Office (PHO) has recorded 34 cases of firecracker injuries from Dec. 21, 2018 to Jan.1 this year, which is 17 percent lower than last year’s 41 cases.
The PHO also received a report of one victim of stray bullet involving 29-year-old Jose Marie Baniqued from Barangay Malimpuec in Basista. He was hit on his right thigh on December 31.
However, he refused to be hospitalized.
Dr. Anna Teresa De Guzman, provincial health officer, said on Wednesday the highest number of injuries was recorded on Tuesday since they started monitoring last December 21.
“Twenty-six of the total number of incidents were active victims, meaning they were the ones who used or lit the firecrackers while eight cases were passive victims,” de Guzman said.
The firecrackers which mostly caused the injuries were kwitis (seven), boga (four), bawang (four), triangle (three), mixed firecrackers (three), pla-pla (two), piccolo (two), luces (two), baby rocket (two), 5-star (two), whistle bomb, fountain and one unknown firecracker.
“Most of victims are between 15 to 19 years old. The youngest victims are between one to four years old, while the oldest is 75-year old,” de Guzman said.
She added that 24 of the total number of victims injured their hands; four suffered eye damage; three on their face; two on their chest and one knee/leg injury. “All blasting and burns, but there were no amputations and no mortality,” de Guzman said.
Despite the number, the PHO is still glad about the low turnout rate of victims.
“We are hoping that the number of firecracker victims will continue to decrease as the years pass by,” de Guzman added.
Meanwhile, Dr. Estachis Niel Espino, department head of Pangasinan Provincial Hospital (PPH)– Emergency Room said on Wednesday that the decrease was attributed to the Department of Health’s effective and relentless campaign against the use of firecrackers.
“Another reason is that because firecrackers have now become expensive,” Espino said.
The PPH remains on full alert status. (PNA)
more recommended stories
Pangasinan Records 9 Million Tourist Arrivals In 2018
Some nine million tourists visited the.
Clark Passenger Arrivals Hit 1M In Q1
Passenger arrivals at the Clark International.
Ilocos Norte Pushing Aid For Calamity-Hit Farmers
Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos is.
Pangasinan Town Trains Out-Of-School-Youths To Make Eco-Bags
Some 10 out-of-school youths (OSYs) in.