The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) continues to provide additional relief augmentation to local government units (LGUs) affected by the combined effects of the southwest monsoon or “habagat” and tropical cyclones Luis and Maymay.
In a report Friday, the DSWD Disaster Response Operations Management, Information and Communication said the department has provided 754,881 family food packs (FFPs) to affected families and individuals.
A total of 9,720 non-food items (NFIs) and 16,869 ready-to-eat food boxes were also distributed to all affected communities.
“Patuloy ang DSWD sa pakikipag-ugnayan sa mga lokal na pamahalaan upang matukoy ang kanilang pangangailangan at agad na maipadala ang kinakailangang relief assistance. Tinitiyak natin na may sapat tayong stockpile at resources upang patuloy na makatugon habang may mga komunidad na apektado ng sama ng panahon (The DSWD continues to coordinate with local governments to determine their needs so that relief assistance can be immediately sent. We assure that we have enough stockpile and resources for the continuous response as communities continue to be affected by inclement weather),” Assistant Secretary Irene Dumlao of the DSWD’s Disaster Response Management Group said in a news release.
The DSWD currently maintains around 4.4 million boxes of FFPs strategically prepositioned across different warehouses.
She said the DSWD is also providing financial assistance to affected families, especially those whose houses have been damaged.
More than PHP1.6 million worth of cash aid under the DSWD’s Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situation program has been distributed.
“Hindi lamang po ang dami ng relief goods ang mahalaga kundi ang mabilis at maayos na pagdadala ng mga ito sa mga pamilyang nangangailangan. Ang utos ng ating Pangulong Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. at ni Secretary Rex Gatchalian, siguraduhin na makapagpadala ng agarang tulong sa mga nasalanta at siguraduhin na maibalik pa rin natin ang dignidad at maramdaman ng ating mga kababayan yung comfort kahit nasa ganitong kalagayan (It is not only the volume of relief goods that is important but also their prompt and orderly distribution to families in need. The order of President Marcos and Secretary Gatchalian is to ensure the immediate distribution of assistance to the affected to bring back their dignity, so that they will feel comfort even during these situations),” Dumlao said..
In Region 1 (Ilocos Region), the DSWD’s regional Field Office delivered 5,170 additional FFPs to affected families in Dagupan City on Aug. 13, despite deep floodwaters in several parts of the city.
With the assistance of the Dagupan City government, the Bureau of Fire Protection and Philippine National Police, the relief items were transported to communities affected by flooding and continued rainfall.
The DSWD’s FO 1 has so far released 57,540 food and non-food items as augmentation support to affected LGUs in the region.
In Calabarzon, the DSWD’s regional office delivered an additional 1,500 FFPs to affected families in Biñan City, Laguna on Aug. 13, including families affected by flooding in Barangay Canlalay.
In the Cordillera Administrative Region, the DSWD’s Field Office CAR provided 2,000 FFPs on Aug. 13 to college students who were isolated due to dangerous roads and adverse weather conditions.
Other DSWD field offices in the affected regions are also sending additional augmentation support to LGUs.
“Ang buong DSWD po, kasama ang aming mga Field Offices, ay nakatutok 24/7 dito sa sama ng panahon. Makakaasa po ang ating mga kababayan na may sapat na stockpile ang DSWD at tuloy-tuloy po ang ating pamimigay ng tulong hanggang kinakailangan (The whole DSWD, including our field offices, is focused on the adverse weather. The people are assured that the DSWD has enough stockpile and continue to distribute assistance until needed),” Dumlao said. (PNA)







