‘The Ripple’ Podcast To Feature Ben&Ben, Moira, SB19, And More

Ben&Ben, Amiel Sol, and Denise Julia will share their stories on the upcoming episode of The Ripple.

‘My Love Will Make You Disappear’ Makes PHP40 Million In Four Days

The highly anticipated film, starring Kim Chiu and Paulo Avelino, has made PHP40 million in its first four days.

BJMP Odiongan Showcases PDLs Artworks, Products At Agri-Trade Fair

Ang mga PDL sa Odiongan ay naglunsad ng kanilang mga likhang sining sa Agri-Trade Fair. Makatutulong ito para sa kanilang muling pagsasama sa lipunan.

Classrooms And Gym Worth PHP24 Million Turned Over To La Union Schools

Ang mga estudyante at guro ay makikinabang sa mga bagong silid-aralan at gym sa La Union, na magpapahusay sa edukasyon at pisikal na kalusugan.

Japanese Boxer Disputes Own Win Over Filipino Fighter

Isang hindi inaasahang hakbang mula kay Keita Kurihara matapos ang laban, nang sabihin niyang hindi niya nararapat ang kanyang panalo.
By Julianne Borje

Japanese Boxer Disputes Own Win Over Filipino Fighter

2775
2775

How do you feel about this story?

Like
Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry

Japanese boxer, Keita Kurihara, displayed respect and true sportsmanship as he renounced his win against Filipino journeyman Renan Portes last Monday at Korakuen Hall in Tokyo.

A usual eight-round boxing match took a peculiar twist after a whirlwind of emotions as Kurihara addressed the crowd and willingly said, “I didn’t win this fight,” soon after he was announced as the winner by split decision.

It was a split decision, with one Japanese judge scoring it 78-74 in favor of Kurihara and the other scoring it 78-74 in favor of Portes.

A Facebook video went viral showing Kurihara’s regret apologizing to Portes while they’re inside the Bukidnon native’s locker room.

Kurihara, speaking through a translator in the Bukidnon native’s locker room, said, “I was declared the winner, but I believe I lost. It’s shameful that I was declared the winner. I apologize.”

A victory would have been crucial for Portes, but he instead suffered his 17th loss, adding to his 13 wins. On the other hand, Kurihara improved his record to 19 wins, 8 losses, and 1 draw, with 16 of those wins coming by knockout.

Before his match against Portes, Kurihara had already secured a win against another Filipino boxer, Froilan Saludar, in a rematch held last January in Cebu. In that fight, Kurihara knocked out Saludar, a former world title contender, in the eighth round.

The loss was particularly crushing for the 35-year-old Portes, who had made a promise to his daughter that he would return home victorious.

In the video, Portes said, “I promised my child that I won’t return home a loser.”

He added, “In the sixth round, I felt groggy but [I fought back] because I promised my child I would bring home the victory.”

A translator told Portes, “He said you won,” as Kurihara, still overwhelmed with grief, knelt beside the Filipino, apologizing. “He believes you won, and that’s what you should tell your child. He’ll fight to ensure the record shows that you won.”

H/T: sports.inquirer.net
Photo Credit: www.facebook.com/edmondlapitandellosa